Wednesday, March 2, 2011

earth science

okay so i'll admit it--
i was a little nervous to start teaching science class today.

first graders won't stop giving you hugs and saying "i love you," and i even get away with calling my fourth graders "hunny bun," "sweetheart," and "sweet pea," but as the grade levels increase, so also does my intimidation. my fear of man. hah! imagine that--i'm sometimes influenced by what ten year olds think of me! :)

well, i decided i didn't have time to be nervous, and finished up everything that needed to be prepped before class.
they entered the room--a little confident in themselves, a little curious about "the new teacher"--and after a pep talk about rules/expectations/goals, we jumped right in. and i'll admit it again....it was kind-of fun. okay, actually, i loved it! i have a great group, and although i'm (definitely) not the perfect teacher and there are tendencies i'm already noticing about them, overall i'm super excited to teach (and learn with) my kids. :)

i had begun our forty-five-minute class by pointing out that they are the leaders of the school, and one day they will be leaders of the community and country. [you should've seen how some of them sat straight up in their chairs..i had to stifle a laugh]. the rest of the class period, i kept them engaged in various ways, and i just hope and pray that science will be a time they look forward to, rather than dread or drag their feet.

God has a funny sense of humor...in my own elementary school, growing up, i struggled the most with math and science, and yet those are now two of the three core subjects i teach during the day (and upper grade level at that). but what i do, i can only do by God's strength. and there will be struggle-days ahead (myself versus the material, myself versus the class, and my head versus my heart), but the Lord knows when those will be, and He's with me each step of the way.

i pray that i will somehow reflect Christ to this new group of students. 'cause it's not really about teaching them science, though that's the part i'm paid for...
it's about being Jesus to them.


H

No comments:

Post a Comment