Thursday, October 29, 2009

a poem

[i wrote this as a quick-write assignment for class this morning...nothing special, just thought i'd share it.]

Her Journey

As I was strolling 'long the sea
And wondering what was soon to be--
Where the future would lead me
I saw a whitewashed shell.

Studying the shell i found
Lines and creases up and down
Marks and scratches all around
The pretty whitewashed shell.

I fingered it within my hand
Imagining the places grand
Where on exotic beaches' sand
Had lain the whitewashed shell.

My thoughts then turned to my own life
The longings to be mother, wife
Exuberant joy amidst much strife,
Then I touched the whitewashed shell.

I too had travelled faraway places
Far and wide, I'd met fine faces
Often without leaving traces
Like the whitewashed shell.

But soon a smile crept 'cross my lips
Examing edges, middle, and tips
For I had swept through sea and trips
Just as the whitewashed shell.

Though weathered, beaten, sometimes worn
Yes, I survived the raging storms
And now felt safe, protected, warm
As had the whitewashed shell.

Tossed to and fro, but without breaking
One life to live and give, not taking
The watery waves were in me making
A steady whitewashed shell.

And though at first, it seemed so small
Yet every crack and every fall
Had grown me to stand straight and tall
The little whitewashed shell.

Was I faithful despite the beaches' shore
I'd washed upon, to show them more
To tell of love and hope in store
For me, the whitewashed shell.

And how it is not mine to hoard
But share my hope and Love adored
And watch as new lives in Him soared.....

Farewell, dear whitewashed shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment